ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bandfuse file formats
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:09 am 

A small group of us worked on this for a while. Our interest had been for adding custom songs, as is currently popular with the Rocksmith franchise. The song chart format has been pretty much figured out, I added program logic to the Editor on Fire chart editor that was able to import the game's native chart format and export custom song charts in a more human readable XML format for conversion with a separate tool. Audio hadn't been completely figured out due to the encryption scheme, but it seemed like we could embed audio in the backing video file as a workaround. We were so close to making custom songs for this game a reality, but about a year ago a dead end was reached regarding the file indexing system used by the game. If anybody is able to help us make custom Bandfuse songs happen, it would breathe new life into a franchise that died far too early.

If an experienced game researcher has the interest but no access to the game, I could ship him/her a legit copy of it if that helps and is allowed.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:55 pm 

You should make a list containing all the files used in the game instead.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:47 pm 

I don't have any experience doing that kind of thing. Would you point me in the right direction?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:48 pm 

Right-click on a folder, click on something that says "command line", then you can type these two commands(not one at a time, though):
"tree" - it shows all the sub-folders.
"dir" - it shows all the filenames according to that folder.

See how easy it is?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 pm 

If you meant just a list of whatever Windows recognizes on the disc's file system when in a standard DVD drive, you could have said so. Is that really expected to reveal anything useful compared to Xbox 360 modding specific utilities?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:49 pm 

raynebc wrote:
If you meant just a list of whatever Windows recognizes on the disc's file system when in a standard DVD drive, you could have said so. Is that really expected to reveal anything useful compared to Xbox 360 modding specific utilities?

I only meant that in case you had your Xbox 360 ISO extracted to a directory, not inside a Xbox 360 ISO. My bad.
You can also use exiso(which is a command-line tool) to list all the files of your Xbox 360 ISO in case you're wondering. The parameter is -l.
Also, I'm just curious but how does "shipping a copy to someone else" works? If you're just trying to sell your copy to me then sorry but I could rather grab a copy of it myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:42 pm 

I don't have this game as an ISO, my brief research indicates this requires specific equipment to rip. I'll see what I can find.

I was offering to donate a legal copy of the game in case somebody was interested in looking into this but didn't have the game and didn't want to try to download it.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:20 pm 

Here is a file listing from exiso:
http://pastebin.com/raw/FYSFQR00

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:39 pm 

Finally we have an idea of what's needed to figure out the formats used on the X360 version of the game.
The .bk2 format is very easy to figure it out, since we have Bink Tools for that.
.xpr looks like a proprietary image format.
.gfx looks like there is some information regarding the graphics or some shit. Same goes for .xbo.
.clt looks like some audio format, but I can't be sure since I don't have my hands on the game yet.
The rest uses this proprietary .rif format left and right.

At least we got to get an insight on the files. Let me know if you have the PS3 version, although I know you don't have it just yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:53 pm 

The RIF files have various data like the guitar tablature for game's songs, and is the format that EOF parses (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayne ... f_import.c). I'll see if I can get the PS3 version of the game for comparison. Is there a similar tool I'd need to use to display the contents of a PS3 ISO?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:15 pm 

For PS3 ISOs you can try 7zip or IsoBuster but since there are recent scene releases around that has all the data extracted, I don't see the reason why not.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:05 am 

So I've reached to the conclusion that .clt is, indeed, a proprietary audio format. I think it's best for you to figure these formats out for yourself, but if you wish I can provide you some samples.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:13 am 

The audio is expected to be encrypted, so we weren't so worried about trying to break that. Although if we knew how to encrypt in the right format, it would help us add audio content to the game. What kind of samples are you referring to?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:21 am 

raynebc wrote:
What kind of samples are you referring to?

Any file that was used in the game. Heck, I can even provide you a executable that is necessary for running the game on the X360/PS3 versions of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:46 am 

I have the ISO, so I presume exiso would extract files from it? I'm not sure what executable you're referring to. I don't need to run the ISO, I have 4 purchased copies of this game. My video card also isn't powerful enough to run Xenia, so I can't try to debug the game, although from what I've seen Xenia is coming along very well. It just doesn't support microphone devices yet, which means the game can't really be used since that is the main input device used for everything except menu navigation.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:47 am 

exiso can extract the iso. Just use the -x paramater.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:51 am 

I have done so. I've asked the others involved for more information about our current road block with this (indexing). I'm not sure I have enough expertise to pick up where they left off though.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:54 am 

^ Well, you can certainly try. All you need is some reverse engineering skills when dealing with a file format. You can also look at the files and how they work through a hex editor, since they can be helpful in your case.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:36 pm 

Here's a directory listing of the PS3 game disc:
https://paste.ee/r/O8ZPR

And a tree listing:
http://pastebin.com/raw/ptGCJ2fg

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:42 pm 

Okay, that about covers everything.