ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:33 pm
Posts: 1
No issue! ignore plz :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:31 pm 

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:11 am
Posts: 14
aluigi wrote:
QuickBMS 0.6.5 has been just released and contains the work-around to avoid the crashes on Windows 8.1.
Works swimmingly. Thanks a bunch.

Since the issue has been resolved, should this thread be locked?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:59 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 6457
Usually I don't lock topics because maybe someone else has something to add.
What's important is that the issue is solved :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 pm
Posts: 4
I know this is really old but I experience the same problem with the same error codes and all. I am on Windows 7 Enterprise, and have the most recent update of QuickBMS... I am getting the exact same error codes as the ones on the first page and I tried most of the solutions (I could not figure out how to use the command prompt code lines though). Any way you guys could help? I will give more detail on my issues if need be.

[Edit]: On second glance I remembered that when I ran QuickBMS with -9 it said "error in src\io/process.c line 955: scan_modules()" and below it "Error: not enough space"


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 am 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 6457
What's the script you are using and are you using quickbms with double-click or from command-line?
If you get the error simply by double-clicking on quickbms.exe then it's a problem caused by a driver (for example the Xonar drivers) or invasive software.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:07 am 

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 pm
Posts: 4
aluigi wrote:
What's the script you are using and are you using quickbms with double-click or from command-line?
If you get the error simply by double-clicking on quickbms.exe then it's a problem caused by a driver (for example the Xonar drivers) or invasive software.


It could possibly be invasive software, I've been a bit suspicious that I might have something on my computer but no antivirus programs could find anything. I tried doing a clean boot of my computer by disabling all services and boot programs but that did not work. I'm using quickbms from double click. Also this problem occurs with any script I use. Most of these scripts are for unpacking .pkb files.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 6457
The error message you get with -9 seems totally unrelated to be honest, probably you didn't execute quickbms with the option in the correct way:
create a shortcut to quickbms.exe and in Properties->Target add a -9 after "quickbms.exe", then double-click on the shortcut and use it as you do normally.
It's impossible that quickbms doesn't work with -9 otherwise you should be unable to use anything on your computer :D


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:01 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 pm
Posts: 4
Okay so I tried it again, but now I'm just starting to think it is a problem with the scripts I'm using. Some of them actually ran their process but it would say "Found 0 files in 0 seconds". I am trying to decompress .pkb files that are from the archives of an iso file. I attached the two scripts I am trying to use if you would like to take a look at them.


Attachments:
xenoblade.bms [851 Bytes]
Downloaded 10 times
pkb_extract_v2.bms [994 Bytes]
Downloaded 10 times
Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:59 pm
Posts: 4
Alright it is definitely a problem with the scripts. I was able to successfully decompress the character models in the game, because that folder included both .pkb and .pkh files. The map data files which I wanted to decompress are only included in a .pkb file (no .pkh ones) this I think causes the process to fail because the scripts I have are setup to handle both file types in the same script. I'm searching now for some scripts but if you know how to fix it or anything let me know.

[EDIT] I got the issue sorted out! Thank you for the help.

Solution: I did not have the static.arc file extracted, that contains the map.pkh file I needed


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited