An interesting feature of quickbms is the possibility to reimport/reinject the extracted files back in the archives.
It does NOT work with 100% of the scripts and there are some limitations but it's a great alternative to spending hours writing a repacker.
Details in section 3 of quickbms.txt:http://aluigi.org/papers/quickbms.txt
Sometimes you don't need to reimport or rebuild an archive because probably the game already has the ability to load the files outside the archive.
Other times it's necessary to specify a command-line option to allow that operation.
If all the solutions fail, it's time to use the reimporting mode.
Things to know and limitations:
- you can reinject the files only if they have a size equal or smaller than the original ones
- only the most used compression algorithms are used, like zlib/deflate, lzma, lzo, lzss and many others
- the scripts that dump the file from the memory file (for example for chunked files) are not supported
To use this feature you must:
- make a backup copy of the archive
- extract the files using the necessary script
- edit the files you want to modify
- delete all the files that have not been modified
- double click on reimport.bat
- do the SAME steps you did for extracting the archive.
Seriously, do the same just like if you are extracting the files to the same folder.
QuickBMS will do the job automatically
- quickbms will show the names of the files that have been reimported
- try the game with the new archive
Yes, it's really extremely simple.