ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm 

I'm just wondering if someone could help me identify what type of compression ENGINE1EXPORTFP versions of *.mxs files use to store the vertex lists.

The overall file structure itself seems to be derived from 3DSMax ASCII scene *.ase with a different header and lists stored in binary form.
ENGINE1EXPORT = literal text file
ENGINE1EXPORTB is not seen. (I tried to grep it)
ENGINE1EXPORTB2 formats, indices are shorts, Coordinates are float32. As I can see the pattern, (list_size /12) == vert_num from \t to \t.
Same procedure for indices.
ENGINE1EXPORTFP is what I'm stuck on.

When I tried to calculate the estimated number of vertices, or the number of bytes for each vertex, calculated_value < known value.
I cut the list to a separate file to put it through the Quickbms comType scanner, with the expected byte string width as a parameter. Of the files that were output with the expected size, none of them had any discernible patterns.

Could anyone help figure it out?

I'm also trying to see if I can learn anything through the game exe by setting a breakpoint when the header is read from the file...
But I don't have enough assembly experience.

The texture still refers to the path used during development... that's a trivial fix.

Attachments:
File comment: Highlighting where the vertex list begins, and the compressed/uncompressed streams.
ex.jpg [486.98 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: 3 different *.mxs formats, plus a log from running PHW - HW35
PHW - Samples.7z [241.71 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times