ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:27 am 

Hey guys,

Recently I have gotten into ripping Thrillville: Off The Rails and I've run into some issues with the base archives. They're *.OVL and I've seen that Lucas Arts uses some weird formats sometimes so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at these files for me! I'm almost positive they contain actual data, because those are the only other files in the game files... (Other than audio *.aud which I've ripped..). Attached are samples below. Thanks in advance!

~Anexenaumoon

Attachment:
thrillville.zip [4.18 MiB]
Downloaded 10 times

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 am 
Site Admin

There is no TOC (information about the archived files) at the beginning or end of these files, so I suspect there is one or more index files containing such information.
Maybe they have the same name and different extension or something like "index"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:34 am 

Yeah that's definitely strange. Some of the zap files have a file labeled "front-end" which hold .hit files (I assume collision for objects, but only ones in the overworld), as well as they have these *.rnd files which seem to be static mesh data. Would uploading some of the zaps maybe be useful to you? The Wallace and Gromit current BMS script causes some issues with really-long names

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am 
Site Admin

ok let's take a look at these zaps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 am 

apologies for the upload size.... these were the smallest ones that were having issues :P (If you don't wanna download em that's fine, or if you need me to filecut let me know):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_5jTm ... X46cMmp1ZY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

What's the problem with long names regarding the script?
It works correctly with a couple of zaps I downloaded.
But there is a problem with the extracted files (I don't have the samples of the other game for comparison) so I fixed the script.

Now the problem is the "FGRK" format of the ovl files because it's a complex resource format, can't help with that since only half part of the ovl files are easy to parse.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:01 am 

Files from the "frontend" folder would spit out some long name error, but it's not a huge issue since you can just rename them. So for the "FGRK" part, do you think that resource format contains the info for data in the ovl files?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 am 
Site Admin

Where are these ZAP files of the frontend folder? there are only 6 zap in your upload.
FGRK "is" the ovl format, so yes (at least in theory since the second half of the file is not referenced and has abslutely no sense).