ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am 

Hi, I'm trying to extract music from the Nintendo DS game Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force. I opened the .nds file in VGMTrans, but only saw the following soundtracks: SEQ_GENERAL, SEQ_FRIENDS, SEQ_CHAT, SEQ_AVATAR. None of them are recognizable. There should be many more soundtracks, but I don't see them.

I also tried using ndssndext (NDS Sound Extractor) and VGMToolbox's NDSTo2SF tool, but no luck. However, I used Nitro Explorer to browse the contents of the game and found "music.bin" and "sfx.bin" in the "sound" directory. Can music be extracted from these .bin files?

I would like to avoid converting the music from YouTube videos because of audio quality loss due to YouTube's compression. I would also like to avoid the tedious process of recording music straight from the game. Those are the reasons why I want to extract music instead.

Any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Upload the music.* files.
A list of files (like "dir /s") would be helpful in case music.bin doesn't contain the expected data.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 am 

Thank you for your reply. I've attached the "music.bin" and "sfx.bin" files. Also, I used DSBuff to unpack the .nds file and the "tree /f" command to create the file list you requested: https://pastebin.com/raw/2yJDpxY1 Hope this helps.

Attachments:
sfx.bin [2.4 MiB]
Downloaded 36 times
music.bin [2.01 MiB]
Downloaded 40 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Considering the small size and what I have listened on youtube I guess these bin files are a sort of custom midi-like format.
I'm moving the topic in the Audio section.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Ah, I suggest you to post also on http://www.romhacking.net/forum/ since they have more knowledge about this specific stuff.