ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 pm 

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how the products from Telltale Games(Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, The Wolf among Us, etc.) actually call the .chore files, because I'm sure it will help our translators tease out the flow of the texts. What I've found so far is that .dlog files contain a lot of 8-byte long data(which I guess are some kind of hash code) that point to separate .chore files each.

For example, I confirmed these four relations through trials and errors:

Code:
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_1.chore      <- 1D 85 33 99 60 0E 9E B5
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_2.chore      <- 9A 76 23 2F 2D 5E 3B BF
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_3.chore      <- 96 35 75 DA B0 CE F7 78
env_twinsEncampment_cs_Enter_2.chore         <- 8A 9A AA 47 79 75 6C 37

But there are more than 6 thousand .chore files, and I just can't check them out all one by one manually, so automation is definitely needed. But getting the algorithm behind them is above my head. Someone once suggested the file names might be hashed in CRC-64 but no luck with that.

I've posted the same question in XeNTaX, but have still not gotten any replies. I am posting it hoping there would be someone who can help me.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:17 pm 

Bluboks wrote:
Hi, I've been trying to figure out how the products from Telltale Games(Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, The Wolf among Us, etc.) actually call the .chore files, because I'm sure it will help our translators tease out the flow of the texts. What I've found so far is that .dlog files contain a lot of 8-byte long data(which I guess are some kind of hash code) that point to separate .chore files each.

For example, I confirmed these four relations through trials and errors:

Code:
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_1.chore      <- 1D 85 33 99 60 0E 9E B5
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_2.chore      <- 9A 76 23 2F 2D 5E 3B BF
previouslyon_episode4_cs_Enter_3.chore      <- 96 35 75 DA B0 CE F7 78
env_twinsEncampment_cs_Enter_2.chore         <- 8A 9A AA 47 79 75 6C 37

But there are more than 6 thousand .chore files, and I just can't check them out all one by one manually, so automation is definitely needed. But getting the algorithm behind them is above my head. Someone once suggested the file names might be hashed in CRC-64 but no luck with that.

I've posted the same question in XeNTaX, but have still not gotten any replies. I am posting it hoping there would be someone who can help me.

Thanks.

I know, that in landb files have ids of lang strings, timing wav and anm files. IDs you can also find in dlog files.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 am 

my libtelltale project is going to support chore and anm next. they symbol (hash) with crc64 ECMA in lower case of the string :)
tostop case related problems, also you can see in the archives since the hashes are the lower case