ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:43 am 

The other graphic file format I posted was probably too obscure so lets try this.

A good chunk of games developed by reflexive entertainment such as Ricochet Infinity use .Frame and .Sequence for their graphics files. It's possible to open them in irfanview but they can only be seen as jpgs without transparency. I've been trying to figure out for a while on how to rip these graphics with the transparency included but no luck, however during a discord discussion with the main developer James C. Smith, he mentioned this important piece of information stating that .Frame and .Sequence files were "a Combination of a JPEG compressed RGB channel plus a zlib compressed alpha channel"
I lack the technical knowledge to work with file compression of any kind, yet I feel someone here will be able to write a script using the info at hand.

Attachments:
File comment: example .Frame and .Sequence files
Frame and Sequence files.zip [178.62 KiB]
Downloaded 57 times

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:50 am 

The format as you said is JPEG RGB + ZLIB Alpha.
However, the decompressed Alpha channel data seems to need some conversion, and its value is a multiple of 8, which cannot be used directly.

If anyone is interested, here is an imperfect Noesis script.

Attachments:
tex_reflexive entertainment_sequence_frame.zip [1.02 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:12 pm 

ugh... This seems rather busted. For the sequences it only shows the jpg and another image that's a crusty outline of said jpg, regardless of how many frames the sequence has. It can't even seem to load the frame files at all either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 am 

Nyehmeh wrote:
ugh... This seems rather busted. For the sequences it only shows the jpg and another image that's a crusty outline of said jpg, regardless of how many frames the sequence has. It can't even seem to load the frame files at all either.

The main problem at the moment is the alpha channel.
Some Frame files do not contain images.
The image inside the sequences is a large stitched image. There is a text file (*.unk) that records how they are divided into sequences.
This Noesis python script will automatically unpack the .alpha .jpg .unk file when it is read.