ZenHAX

Free Game Research Forum | Official QuickBMS support | twitter @zenhax | SSL HTTPS://zenhax.com
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

@haiwood
Please no off-topic.
I check most of the topics on the forum and if something is in the wrong section or lacks some details I fix it automatically.
And if I don't reply to a topic it means I don't have a positive solution at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:19 am 

I decided to go back and extract/decrypt my Sega Genesis ROMS from my gold edition CD and Steam for archival purposes.

When I ran the 2 scripts(Sega_classics.bms and Sega_classics_gold.bms) on the QuickBMS page in 0.9.0 every file decrypted was incorrect. I ran the same exact scripts with old versions 0.7.5 and 0.7.3 and both correctly decrypted the .Pak files so I know the problem lies somewhere in the newer version. But I don't know what version the bug started in.

Additionally, I decided to compare the extracted files with a hex editor. What I found was that 0.9.0 added 3 bytes to the beginning of every ROM file decrypted. Every ROM started with these 3 bytes "EF BB BF" added. If you deleted these 3 bytes and saved, the edited files were identical to the versions created by the older QuickBMS versions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. Can you upload one of these roms so I can check it?

Some weeks ago I noticed the following post on reddit that may be related to the same bug (I have to check it but don't know if I will have all the files for the test):
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXVPCmods/com ... _not_work/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 am 

aluigi wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Can you upload one of these roms so I can check it?

There is still an encrypted ROM from my gold edition in this previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2101

It uses the script you added in that thread(sega_classics_gold.bms). The produced file was titled correctly regardless of which version of QuickBMS I used. If an older version of QuickBMS is used(I used .75) it should produce a use-able ROM. If the script is run in .90 it should create a ROM that is 3 bytes more(and they should be the bytes I posted above, at least that's what every ROM had added to it for me.) If I deleted the first 3 bytes of the .90 ROM with a hex editor it ended up the same as the ROM created with the older version.

From my testing, a ROM extracted from a Steam version .pak with the "sega_classics.bms" script was the same as a ROM extracted from a Gold edition .pak with the gold script(provided both paks were the same underlying game). This was the case as long as the same version of QuickBMS was used(I.E. the game extracted from .90 would be the same whether Steam or Gold edition(including the 3 extra bytes), and if .75 was used the steam and Gold would be the same as well).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Uhmmm I tried sega_classics_gold.bms with the g0009.pak sample you provided in that topic and the result is the same in quickbms 0.9.0 or 0.7.7 or 0.7.1.
I need an exact way to replicate the problem.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15